Your Successful Marketing Campaigns Might Be Hurting Your Business

Photo credit: billibala on Flickr.When you measure the success of your marketing campaigns, are you looking at all the right metrics? And, are you defining success correctly?

Depending on what you are measuring and how success is defined, some of your most successful marketing campaigns could be hurting your business in the long run.

Need an example?

Okay, let’s focus on email marketing.

Specifically, let’s look at the most dreaded form of email marketing: Spam.

Spam Is in the Eye of the Beholder

Merriam-Webster defines spam as, “unsolicited usually commercial email sent to a large number of addresses.”

In his book, titled “The Big Red Fez: How to Make Any Web Site Better,” (affiliate link) Seth Godin says that he doesn’t have a definition of spam. Instead, he believes that unsolicited email is whatever the recipient defines as unsolicited.

He gives an example of an email that he felt was unsolicited.

As a result of receiving the email, he trusts the business less, is less likely to read their email, and is less likely to sign up for something new from them.

Godin goes on to say, “Did the brand manager get a 5 percent sign-up rate? Probably. Was it profitable, at least in the short run? Definitely. But some day, they’ll realize that it cost them something big with the other 95 percent of their customer base.”

Now, yes, I am aware that this is only Seth Godin’s opinion, and an n of 1 does not constitute a trend.

But, Seth Godin is a very intelligent guy. And, I think he was on to something.

In my opinion, this is a concept that businesses should think about more often.

Final Thoughts

As I have said before, businesses need to measure the success of their marketing campaigns in order to make adjustments and justify the expenses to senior management.

There are many ways that marketing campaigns can be measured. This is particularly true in the online world.

However, some of the marketing campaigns that businesses consider successful and profitable in the short term might actually be costing them more than they think when lost customers and future revenues are factored in.

This concept doesn’t only apply to email marketing.

The long-term effects of a marketing campaign should be considered when businesses do any kind of marketing.

This is just something to think about.

Photo credit: billibala on Flickr.

Chad Thiele

Marketing analyst and strategist, content curator, applied sociologist, proud UW-Madison alumnus, and an Auburn-trained mobile marketer. My goal is to help businesses identify trends that will help them achieve their marketing objectives and business goals. I'm currently looking for my next career challenge. Please feel free to contact me anytime at: chadjthiele@gmail.com.

More Posts

Copyright © chadjthiele.com
Every interaction with a consumer IS marketing.

Built on Notes Blog Core
Powered by WordPress